The Osmocom TETRA project¶
- Table of contents
- The Osmocom TETRA project
- Further Reading
This project aims at practical research and experimentation with the TETRA
trunked radio system.
It is part of the bigger family of Osmocom projects,
all aiming to create Free Software (Open Source Software) for mobile communications.
NOTE: Please observe the LegalNotes before using this software!
Software Defined Radio TETRA Air interface sniffer¶
The osmo-tetra project aims at implementing the sending and
receiving part of the TETRA MAC/PHY layer.
- receive, demodulate and decode TETRA downlink signals of real-world TETRA networks
- display information about SYNC, SYSINFO, MM and CMCE PDUs
- forward those TETRA downlink signals to the wireshark protocol analyzer
- forward IP packets contained in TETRA SNDCP to a local
Research on Motorola Dimetra EBTS¶
We have been investigating the hardware and software architecture of the Motorola Dimetra EBTS,
including its components like Base Radio, Site Controller, etc.
The goal here is to run this equipment without a Motorla SwMI and thus have an inexpensive platform for running
your own TETRA network for research purpose.
Applied Research on security of real-world TETRA networks¶
Using the tools we develop, we are analyzing the security of real-world TETRA networks.
Our experience so far is quite shocking: All the non-government TETRA networks that we
have encountered use no TETRA encryption at all, i.e. they are subject to very easy
More information will follow soon.
Osmocom TETRA software¶
- osmo-tetra - Our software defined radio TETRA receiver
TETRA related hardware¶
- Funcube_Dongle - A small receiver that can be used with osmo-tetra
- Dimetra_EBTS - Information on the Motorola Dimetra EBTS
- Rohde_Schwarz_BSC411 - Information on the R&S BICK TETRA BSC
- Rohde_Schwarz_TOB500 - Information on the R&S BICK TETRA Outdoor BTS 500
- Antenna_LNA - Antenna and LNAs suitable for TETRA
- http://www.golem.de/1101/80600.html (German)
- FAQ - Our Frequently Asked Questions
- Recommended_Reading -- Links to recommended books, articles, etc.
- TETRA_in_Germany -- Information we collect about TETRA networks in Germany
- Talks_Lectures -- Talks / Lectures given by the osmocomTETRA project
- Speech_Codec -- Information on how to find specs + reference code of the TETRA speech codec
- Test_Samples -- Samples recorded on test network