Gopher is a distributed, menu driven, text-based system for information retrieval on the Internet. It's a predecessor in many ways to the [much later] HTTP based Web as we know it today.
For more information see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_(protocol)
For modern OS / environment¶
- OverbiteWX Firefox Extension
- Burrow Gopherspace Explorer for Chrome
- https://github.com/kieselsteini/cgo (C language / console)
- https://github.com/prologic/gopherclient (Go language using Webview)
- https://github.com/aeonofdiscord/ferret (GTK based graphical client)
- original University of Minnesota gopher+ (builds on modern Linux)
Public gopher on the Internet¶
- Wikipedia gopher interface: gopher://gopherpedia.com/1
- List of gopher servers: gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/world
Gopher in Osmocom Retro-Networking¶
We don't have concrete plans as to offering gopher services.
It would be nice if somebody would develop a converter script that renders gopher versions of the CCC Event schedule (Fahrplan), see #4242