Retro-Networking / BBS-Revival¶
This project is about re-creating the experience of telephone/modem based BBSs and BBS networks such as FidoNet, Z-Netz and UUCP/UseNet. It is hence a retro-computing project, but the focus is not necessarily to run the exact same software on the exact same operating systems and hardware that was used back then.
Rather, the focus is on recreating the experience, and showcasing as well as explaining the technologies. We are not afraid to mix it with modern technology.The project will
- collect software and hardware used for circuit-switched telecommunication, including Modems, ISDN-TAs, RAS servers, BBS Software, Terminal Programs, etc.
- build a physical setup of telephone network, modems, BBSs, points, ... that can be demonstrated at events such as vintage-computing festivals or CCC congresses
- document the items of our collection as well as the physical setup on-line so people can read up about and explore related technology
- as far as possible, run permanent installations of some of the technologies involved, either using modems over SIP/G.711 or telnet based access
We want to cover analog modems and ISDN on the hardware side, as well as all major network technologies on the software side, such as FTN, ZConnect and UUCP
This project started around the 34th annual CCC congress, where LaF0rge (osmocom.org project founder) gave a talk about BBSs and early internet access in the 1990ies, a recording of which can be found at https://media.ccc.de/v/34c3-9034-bbss_and_early_internet_access_in_the_1990ies
Unfortuantely not all too much has happened in the following 18 months or so, but at least a growing collection of related POTS + ISDN hardware has been put together, and in October 2019 the first modem connections over the PBX were made, as well as a SynchroNET BBS installation put together.
- Community TDMSS7 Network
- Dialup Network In A Box
- Ethernet AUI MAU
- HDLC Evolution
- Internet Services
- E1 Pinout
- ISDN User Equipment
- ISDN PDH Network Equipment
- Sangoma Wanpipe DAHDI
- LAN Technology
- Modems for analog telepone lines
- Network Equipment
- SDH Network Equipment
- Test Equipment