- Table of contents
- Commercial Support
OsmoBSC¶OsmoBSC is an implementation of a GSM BSC (Base Station Controller), i.e. it offers the following interfaces:
- A-bis interface towards the Base Transceiver Stations (BTSs)
- A-over-IP (AoIP) interface towards an Mobile Switching Centre (MSC) (e.g. OsmoMSC).
- Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP) interface towards a Media Gateway (MGW) (e.g. OsmoMGW for handling the RTP user plane (voice call codec frames)
- Lb interface towards a Serving Mobile Location Centre (SMLC) (e.g. OsmoSMLC)
- CBSP interface towards a Cell Broadcast Centre (CBC) (e.g. OsmoCBC)
- intra-BSC, inter-BSC, inter-MSC, inter-PLMN hand-over
- interference, power and load based hand-over
- circuit-switched fallback (CSFB) from LTE/E-UTRAN with fast return
- dynamic timeslot usage (SDCCH/TCH/PDCH) - depending on BTS support
- MSC pooling
- Cell Broadcast (CBS) / Emergency Broadcast (ETWS)
- Location Services
- SACCH Repetition
- Basic VAMOS support - depending on BTS support
OsmoBSC in the Osmocom architecture¶
Signaling Plane only¶
Signaling + User (Media) Plane¶
OsmoBSC supports currently all BTSs running the OsmoBTS software (such as sysmoBTS), as well as ip.access nanoBTS devices. Other Abis/IP devices may be supported.
Support for legacy E1/T1 TDM based BTSs (like those supported by OsmoNITB is on the roadmap.
Osmocom provides binary packages for several flavors of Debian and Ubuntu GNU/Linux on a variety of architectures (i586, x86_64, armhf, armv7l). Unless you are a software developer interested in developing on Osmocom, it is recommended you use those packages instead of building from source.
For more details see Binary_Packages
- osmo-bsc User Manual: http://ftp.osmocom.org/docs/latest/osmobsc-usermanual.pdf
- osmo-bsc VTY Reference: http://ftp.osmocom.org/docs/latest/osmobsc-vty-reference.pdf
The source code is available from
Public read-only access is available via
git clone https://gitea.osmocom.org/cellular-infrastructure/osmo-bsc
You can browse it via gitea: https://gitea.osmocom.org/cellular-infrastructure/osmo-bsc
Contributions are welcome via Gerrit.
Test Suite¶We have a TTCN-3 test suite as part of our Titan_TTCN3_Testsuites
- source code: https://gitea.osmocom.org/ttcn3/osmo-ttcn3-hacks/src/branch/master/bsc
- results: https://jenkins.osmocom.org/jenkins/view/TTCN3/job/ttcn3-bsc-test/
Contact / Getting Help¶
Contact us via the openbsc@ mailing list, see Mailing Lists.
You can file issues (bugs / feature requests) using the redmine project you're currently viewing.
Authors / Credit¶
The old OsmoBSC-SCCPlite was created by Holger Freyther based on the earler OpenBSC/OsmoNITB code by Dieter Spaar, Harald Welte, Holger Freyther and contributors.
3GPP AoIP support was developed by sysmocom. Today, OsmoBSC is maintained by Harald Welte and his team at sysmocom.
History / Naming / SCCPlite¶
Until 2017, we used to have an
osmo-bsc part of the old
openbsc.git repository which implemented a smaller sub-set of the BSC functionality with an SCCPLite based A interface. This legacy program is now called
osmo-bsc-sccplite and continues to be available for legacy users. However, it is not actively developed anymore. SCCPlite protocol support has been re-introduced in the new
osmo-bsc.git. Users should not use the obsolete and unmaintained
Commercial support as well as development, system integration and training services for this project are available from sysmocom