This is a small break-out board for m.2 (NGFF) type cellular / WWAN modems.It allows you to insert a m.2 modem from any vendor, and it will provide you with:
- mini USB 3 socket for connection to a USB Host (like your PC/Laptop or Embedded System)
- 5V DC input for power supply (USB supply usually insufficient for a modem)
- all unused m.2 pins on a 2.54mm break-out header
- two SIM card slots for 2FF-sized SIM, USIM or RUIM cards (multi-SIM)
- PCIe lane of modem exposed on USB3-A connector (to connect via related cable to PCIe host)
Particularly the break-out header is useful to get access to various signals exported in a non-standard fashion by some modem models, such as digital audio PCM.