support hnbgw co-located GTP-U proxy
In the current osmo-hnbgw implementation, we simply configure the hNB GTP-U data to go directly to the SGSN. This requires IP-level routing between the RAN and the CN, which is possible in most lab situations, but not possible in real operator networks.
So we'd need to add support for a GTP-U proxy to control a co-located osmo-mgw. That proxy would translate GTP flows on the RAN side to GTP flows on the CN side (each with their own IPs/TEIDs).
The problem faced here is a 1:1 identical situation to what we're facing in OsmoSGSN in #5154. So both should then be able to use that same GTP-U proxy component.
Further brainstorming about this problem revealed that we're actualy talking about the same as the "SGW-U" network element described in 3GPP TS 23.214, which is what 3GPP invented when they introduced the control/user plane separation into the 4G EPC.
The SGW-U is exactly a GTP-U proxy between the RAN and the CN side, and it even includes functions for buffering GTP-U packets during mobility related GTP-U tunnel modification. It also includes functions for notifying the control plane entity of the first downlink packet received (so it can trigger paging). The SGW-U is controlled by the PFCP protocol. Only very few features of PFCP are required (PFCP is also used for he PGW-U which is much more complex).So in fact, what we'd have to implement is
- a minimalistic SGW-U with PFCP suport
- functionality in osmo-hnbgw to control that SGW-U via PFCP
#1 Updated by laforge about 1 month ago
SGW-U PFCP features needed (TS 23.214)
- traffic detection based on local F-TEIDu (access and core side)
- usage reporting to the CP function (in theory, can probably be skipped
- F-TEIDu allocation in UP
- control of forwarding
- FTP-U encapsulation with new F-TEID
- generation of "end marker" from SGW-U to NodeB
- idle state packet bufering in SGW-U
- buffer without reporting the arrival of first packet
- buffer with reporting the arrival of first DL packet
- drop packets