Work out a schedule for public user day of OsmoCon 2017
The schedule needs to be attractive to users, both newbies as well as more experienced users.
We need a couple of talks and workshops around running the GSM / GPRS+EDGE / UMTS infrastructure.Some random ideas:
- running a basic circuit-switched GSM network
- interfacing a VoIP operator and/or PBXs via SIP
- running GPRS/EDGE data services with OsmoPCU, OsmoSGSN and OpenGGSN
- fundamental GSM radio frequency planning
- setting up + running "3G in a Box" with osmo-iuh, OsmoMSC, OsmoSGSN and OpenGGSN
- GSUP + core network elements for roaming integration
- using the osmocom control interface
- efficiently investigate and report issues using wireshark, GSMTAP and libosmocore logging
#3 Updated by keith about 3 years ago
Some more random ideas:
- Osmocom infrastructure, redmine, git, gerrit, jenkins.. (the policy and tradition as much as the tech)
- Hitchhikers guide to the code(s). Where are all the things? (in libosmocore, in openbsc in the libmsc, etc) for example, what if I would like to add a command to the vty?
#10 Updated by laforge almost 3 years ago
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:24:30AM +0000, ipse [REDMINE] wrote:
One more suggestion to a list of talks: Using SDR hardware to run a
GSM network aka a completely DIY GSM network. Happy to present this
Thanks ofr the offer. However, I think it's not that different from
using other hardware with OsmoBTS and OsmoNITB & Co., the only
difference is some low-level configuration of OsmoBTS and that you have
to run OsmoTRX alongside.
Our focus in the introductory talks about running a cellular network is
on OsmoBTS and above, we will not cover details of any particular
hardware in those talks.
So if at all, we could do a comparison of different supported hardware,
but then we should be fair and try to cover all devices, from BS-11 to
Nokia InSite, MetroSite, to Ericsson RBS2000 to symsoBTS models, Nuran,
Octasic, USRP, UmTRX, etc.
I'm not sure we have time left in the agenda, but I think that would be