- Table of contents
OsmoBSC¶OsmoBSC is an implementation of a GSM BSC (Base Station Controller), i.e. it offers
- an A-bis interface towards the BTSs
- an A-over-IP (AoIP) interface towards an MSC (e.g. OsmoMSC).
- an Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP) interface towards a MGW (e.g. OsmoMGW for handling the RTP user plane (voice call codec frames)
History / Naming / SCCPlite¶
Until 2017, we used to have an
osmo-bsc part of the old
openbsc.git repository which implemented a smaller sub-set of the BSC functionality with an SCCPLite based A interface. This legacy program is now called
osmo-bsc-sccplite and continues to be available for legacy users. However, it is not actively developed anymore.
OsmoBSC in the Osmocom architecture¶
Signaling Plane only¶
Signaling + User (Media) Plane¶
OsmoBSC supports currently all BTSs running the OsmoBTS software (such as sysmoBTS), as well as ip.access nanoBTS devices. Other Abis/IP devices may be supported.
Support for legacy E1/T1 TDM based BTSs (like those supported by OsmoNITB is on the roadmap.
Osmocom provides binary packages for several flavors of Debian and Ubuntu GNU/Linux on a variety of architectures (i586, x86_64, armhf, armv7l). Unless you are a software developer interested in developing on Osmocom, it is recommended you use those packages instead of building from source.
For more details see Binary_Packages
- osmo-bsc User Manual: http://ftp.osmocom.org/docs/latest/osmobsc-usermanual.pdf
- osmo-bsc VTY Reference: http://ftp.osmocom.org/docs/latest/osmobsc-vty-reference.pdf
The source code is available from
Public read-only access is available via
git clone git://git.osmocom.org/osmo-bsc.git
You can browse it via cgit: https://git.osmocom.org/osmo-bsc
Contributions are welcome via Gerrit.
Test Suite¶We have a TTCN-3 test suite as part of our Titan_TTCN3_Testsuites
- source code: http://git.osmocom.org/osmo-ttcn3-hacks/tree/bsc
- results: https://jenkins.osmocom.org/jenkins/view/TTCN3/job/ttcn3-bsc-test/
Contact / Getting Help¶
Contact us via the openbsc@ mailing list, see Mailing Lists.
You can file issues (bugs / feature requests) using the redmine project you're currently viewing.
Authors / Credit¶
The old OsmoBSC-SCCPlite was created by Holger Freyther based on the earler OpenBSC/OsmoNITB code by Dieter Spaar, Harald Welte, Holger Freyther and contributors.
3GPP AoIP support was developed by sysmocom. Today, OsmoBSC is maintained by Harald Welte and his team at sysmocom.