mPCIe WWAN modem USB breakout board¶
- Table of contents
- mPCIe WWAN modem USB breakout board
This is a small break-out board for miniPCIe (mPCIe) type cellular / WWAN modems.
It allows you to insert a mPCIe modem from any vendor, and it will provide you with:
- mini USB socket for connection to a USB Host (like your PC/Laptop or Embedded System)
- 5V DC input for power supply (USB supply usually insufficient for a modem)
- all unused mPCIe pins on a 2.54mm break-out header
- SIM card slot for a 2FF-sized SIM, USIM or RUIM card
Particularly the break-out header is useful to get access to various signals exported in a non-standard fashion by some modem models, such as digital audio PCM.
Design Files, Schematics, Component Placement¶
The design was done in EAGLE and the design files can be found in the mpcie-breakout directory of osmo-small-hardware.git (git://git.osmocom.org/osmo-small-hardware.git).
PDF renderings of schematics and component placement are attached to this page.
Where to buy¶The general idea of Open Hardware projects is that anyone is allowed to build the design. So feel free to take the design files and build it yourself, either modified or unmodified. Please make sure you always
- attribute the original author (Attribution)
- release any changes to the design files under the same terms (Share Alike)
If you would like to buy a fully-assembled version of this board, you can order it from http://shop.sysmocom.de/products/minipcie-wwan-modem-usb-break-out-board where it is sold as a kit with accessories as seen below:
- first public version
- no SMA sockets on board
- smallest PCB footprint
- SIM slot on bottom of board to save PCB size
- move SIM slot from bottom of PCB to top side
- add three SMA sockets and U.FL socketes to PCB to allow for SMA-attached antenna/cabling by menas of using U.FL to U.FL jumper cables between modem and board