inter-BSC handover outgoing: compose Cell Identifier List from several ARFCN+BSIC
Thinking about inter-BSC handover, I may have made a naive choice when designing the outgoing inter-BSC mechanism:
- The BSSMAP Handover Required message features a Cell Identifier List to name several remote-BSS target cells.
- The current implementation associates each ARFCN+BSIC with a Cell Identifier List, and when we consider a given ARFCN+BSIC having good enough RXLEV, we send that ARFCN+BSIC's Cell Identifier List to the MSC.
However, I now think it was more intended like this:
- We know each remote-BSS ARFCN+BSIC's single Cell Identifier.
- We see several remote-BSS ARFCN+BSIC having good RXLEV.
- When asking for handover, we compose a Cell Identifier List, adding each viable ARFCN+BSIC to the list and send that to the MSC.
I have often wondered how one ARFCN+BSIC would in practice correspond to several Cell Identifiers, and now I had a bit of a face-palm moment, realizing I probably put the cart before the horse there.
So maybe we should:
- Roll back the ability to store several remote-BSS Cell Identifiers per ARFCN+BSIC key
- in the VTY UI (most urgent).
- maybe also in the internal neighbor_ident.c storage, in API and code complexity I have introduced (less urgent).
- Handover decision algorithm 1: collect all remote-BSS neighbors with better RXLEV, if there are more than one -- might even make practical sense when an MS travels to in-between two remote-BSS cells and one of them is overloaded.
- Handover decision algorithm 2: collect all "ok" remote-BSS neighbors instead of only the best one (algorithm 2 currently does handovers to remote-BSS only upon critical levels). Makes practical sense to find any one remote-BSS neighbor that helps to avert lchan loss due to critically low reception levels: the MS has already moved considerably far out of this BSS and might have several options to camp to. Maybe some of those are overloaded and the alternative ones would save the call.
#7 Updated by neels about 1 month ago
- Assignee set to neels
Cannot be closed: the part that is merged is what limits each ARFCN+BSIC to a single cell identifier in the UI.
The part still missing is: when starting inter-BSC HO, include more than one viable ARFCN+BSIC in the list sent to the MSC, if more than one has good RXLEV.