Feature #3303: migrate openmoko.org into "archive mode" and remove dedicated server for it
migrate openmoko.org mail + lists to osmocom.org
* lisst: migrate the single remaining active (community at lists.openmoko.org) to another mailman instance, such as lists.osmocom.org. We could configure mailman to retain the list-id and simply point the MX to the osmocom.org server, i.e. do this without any impact on the list address or users mail filtering rules. * e-mail: discontinue e-mail services at openmoko.org (except e-mail forwarding). To my knowledge, only Joerg Reisenweber is using this service today - and to be fair, I would kindly suggest to use a different imap-capable home for his e-mail after about a decade of using the Openmoko legacy. Sorry :)
I think rather than completely discontinuing it, we can migrate it to osmocom.org where we already run mailman and a MTA. Only part missing is cyrus-imapd, which would make a nice addition on osmocom.org, anyway.
#2 Updated by laforge over 2 years ago
#6 Updated by laforge over 2 years ago
actually, it probably makes sense to run the entire lists.openmoko.org installation as a separate container on osmocom.org infrastructure. This way we don't get possible naming clashes with email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org or the like.
If we first migrate to mailman3, then it would support the same mailing list name at different host/domain names.
#7 Updated by laforge about 2 years ago
- Status changed from New to In Progress
- % Done changed from 0 to 60
- mailman3 containers running for web, core, postgres
- list configuration has been converted to mailman3 for all lists
- all archives have been imported into hyperkitty
pending tasks see checklist of #3307 and here
#8 Updated by laforge over 1 year ago
- % Done changed from 60 to 70
mailman3 migration turned out to be a nighrmare even on a very high-performance machine. I gave up on it, it's not feasible for the size/scale of the openmoko archives.
In the end, I decided to close down the openmoko mailing lists. We'll just keep an archive around and all the archive URLs should stay intact.
As for openmoko.org mail addresses, the only one still using it was joerg, and I have converted his imap account into a mail forward to one of his other addresses.