Inefficient sequence search in tetra_find_train_seq
finding synchronization eats 3 to 4 times more CPU than the actual decoding on my machine (i3-2350M). According to the Perf profiler, all time is spent in tetra_find_train_seq, particularly in the memcmp calls.
Rewriting the search using a more efficient algorithm, for example Aho–Corasick, may speed it up an order of magnitude.
How to reproduce:
1. Capture valid Tetra bits.
2. Generate the same amount of random bits.
3. Observe that the random bits take several times longer for tetra-rx to process.
#1 Updated by laforge about 3 years ago
On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 12:24:27AM +0000, jenda [REDMINE] wrote:
finding synchronization eats 3 to 4 times more CPU than the actual
decoding on my machine (i3-2350M). According to the Perf profiler, all
time is spent in tetra_find_train_seq, particularly in the memcmp
thanks for pointing this out. osmo-tetra is a minimal-effort
proof-of-concept implementation that was done in my spare time.
Rewriting the search using a more efficient algorithm, for example
Aho–Corasick, may speed it up an order of magnitude.
I am very much looking forward to receiving and integrating such a
- Harald Welte <firstname.lastname@example.org> http://laforge.gnumonks.org/ ============================================================================
"Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
(ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)
#2 Updated by jenda almost 3 years ago
what do you think about this patch? Implementing full-blown Aho-Corasick was finally not necessary.
- tetra_burst_sync_in() was eating 64 bits a time, but it was always running memmove(3) and tetra_find_train_seq() on the whole 4KiB array. I have moved the file-reading stuff inside and we now always fill the whole buffer. (also, why use POSIX read(2) when we have standard and buffered file I/O)
- We now shift the input bitstream to a variable and compare it with a single comparison instead of memcmp(3).
Now, finding training sequence is 40 times faster when compiled with -O0 and 110 times faster when compiled with -O3 ;)
I have tried to run it on several captures of the local network and I get the exact same results (sha1sums of output files match), so I hope it is working (no idea if some testsuite exists).
I will be happy to get suggestions regarding the logic, coding etc.